Wednesday 25 September 2013

Most of you will love this study on exercise


An American study involving 4500 adults (published in the American Journal of Health Promotion) has concluded that short bursts of activity done regularly are as effective at controlling weight as longer more involved regular sessions of exercise.

In other words, climbing stairs a few times a day, walking for a few minutes at a good clip a few times a day, or similar bursts of activity were deemed to be as effective in maintaining weight –and even losing weight – as was a regime of regular and longer workouts.

Here’s a great rule for some of you to follow: 3 floors up, 6 flights down; minimum

That’s for stairs, of course, versus elevators or escalators..

This was drummed into me during med school by a prof who noticed me waiting to take an elevator to go one floor up and who told me – accurately - that I was too fat and too sedentary and that I needed to change that for the rest of my life the new rule in a building was to use the stairs for “3 floors up, 6 flights down; minimum”, and I’ve consistently followed that advice for the last 40 years.

Easy to do, helps you feel good, and makes you feel so self-righteous as you note all the people stuck waiting for the elevators.