Friday 27 July 2012

Vitamin D for heart disease? Not so fast


I wish I had vitamin D’s publicist working for me cuz I would have retired years and years ago from all the misplaced hype I would have garnered.

Thus, unless you’ve been living in a cave, and most likely even if you have, you would surely know by now that these days vitamin D is being promoted for everything from lowering the risk of terrible diseases such as cancer to improving your ability to play the piano.

Well, to be fair, no one seems to have made the latter claim yet but I’ll bet someone is working on a study that proves exactly that.

Anyway, among the many claims made for vitamin D is that higher vitamin D levels could significantly lower the risk of various forms of heart disease, claims that are made on the basis of many studies that have found that people with lower vitamin D levels seem to have higher rates of many heart problems, including worse cholesterol profiles.

The problem such studies, however, is pretty simple to a simple person like me: seems to me that the main reasons that most people with lower vitamin D levels would have such low levels because they 1) don’t go into the sun as much as people with more normal vitamin D levels, hence they are less likely to exercise outdoors or even to just walk and relax in a park, and 2) they have poorer diets.

So simply upping the vitamin D levels in people with low levels through the use of supplements has always seemed to me to be a poor way to improve these people’s health status, and I’ve always been skeptical of the ability of vitamin D supplements to make any difference in health outcome for most people.

Which is why I wasn’t at all surprised that a study that reviewed 4 million – that’s 4 million – health records concluded that in people with low vitamin D levels and with concurrent abnormal cholesterol levels, raising their vitamin D levels with supplements – which was documented through blood tests that showed that their vitamin D levels had indeed risen to normal levels – had no effect at all on their cholesterol levels.

You wanna take vitamin D to help with your bones?

Fine, makes some sense.

You wanna take vitamin D to lower your heart attack risk?

Still makes no sense to me.